History


In June of 1891, the Board of Trustees was elected. The Rev. Alex Eakin was chairman of the meetings that followed when it was decided to build a church and call it the First Presbyterian Church of Felton. That first church, dedicated in June of 1893, was built at a cost of $1100 at the corner of Gushee and Felton Empire Road. libraryThe little church served the congregation for 62 years. The original building is still in use as the Felton Public Library. The present church building on Highway 9 in south Felton was dedicated on January 2, 1955. Don Kint of Felton, acted as foreman — hiring a few carpenters and arranging for a steady stream of volunteers. According to Mr. Kint’s memoirs, “At the present time such a project would be almost impossible. Not only because of the cost but because of building permits, county, state, and church restrictions. One final word, the temporary wall that contains three (stained glass) windows is where the sanctuary was supposed to be. We are using the social hall as a sanctuary now. I wonder how soon there will be enough faith to finish the church building. God will supply the money.”weekirk

In 1961 members of the church realized that differences resulting from denominational philosophy were irreconcilable. After much deliberation, a group of members split off to form the Evangelical Free Church of Felton, now known as Felton Bible Church. The two churches now enjoy a renewed relationship between members — especially the youth groups. In 1969 Wee Kirk Church of Ben Lomond united with First Presbyterian Church of Felton to become the United Presbyterian Church of Felton. The brass cross of Wee Kirk was placed over the redwood cross of Felton Church in the sanctuary as a sign of their uniting. In 1987 the Session members voted to change the name one more time to Felton Presbyterian Church.

Felton Presbyterian Church celebrated its 100th anniversary in June of 1993. The church has undergone much change in the 100+ years, including a remodel of the current building, calling over 25 pastors to service, and impacting the lives of thousands of people in the San Lorenzo Valley.friendship_hall